Monday, 7 February 2011

Baby/guest room

As I had mentioned in previous posts, there have been some changes in the spare room in preparation from the arrival of the new family member, but this room is to serve a dual purpose, as a guest room too.

When we started this project, we hadn't really thought much about it. I had some ideas, but nothing concrete, but I just knew we needed to start with a blank canvas. So, we started with:

Phase I - Paint the room (including removing the border and the heater, then painting the heater too). Chosen colour: white. This was because we already had some white furniture and thought we could just buy a white cot, then later inject some colour through the soft furnishings, which I knew I wanted to make myself.

At this point, my idea was to use a colour scheme that would make it appropriate for a child's room, but without being too childish (as it would also have to work as an occasional guest room). I thought of a selection of bright colours and to start it off I wanted a wall sticker/mural (one of those removable ones, to make it easier to change the theme/colour scheme later). I searched around for months probably, but couldn't find anything I liked enough to buy. And then I came across this one wall sticker which I fell in love with (well, as much as you can fall in love with a wall sticker). It meant the colour scheme would change from what I had in mind and this was the result of:

Phase II - Make/buy soft furnishings (curtains, cushion covers, throw, drawers and wardrobe interior covers).

Here's before (did I mention I hated that lilac colour scheme? Nothing against the colour lilac itself, just not the sort of colour I would choose to paint a room, which I would then add lilac curtains and lampshade to. Too much lilac for such a small room, in my opinion!):


And here's the after (well, the during, I guess, because it's not quite finished yet):


And here's the sticker that inspired it all:


Note: See the bedside table on the photo above? I thought I'd paint it (and it's twin on the other side of the bed) white to go with the rest of the furniture, but then I realised they will probably go anyway (more on this in a bit).

Note 2: See the polka dot changing mat? Once I knew I was going for the black-white-green colour scheme, I kept my eye on anything that I was going to buy for the baby, to go with the room, of course. I loved it, and had to have it! Then, in one of my trips to a fabric shop I saw the polka dot fabric I just had to use for the little cushion covers.

I had initially thought I would have a lot of different sized cushions with a lot of different patterned fabrics (within the same colour scheme, of course), but when I put all the fabrics together, it all just seemed too much for such a small room, so I changed m strategy: try to keep it simple. Use the same material as used for the curtains to make the covers for the bigger cushions, have medium black cushions, to contrast with the white in the furniture and walls, and with the green bed throw, and make polka dot covers for the little cushions (to go with the polka dot in the changing mat above). But I still wanted to incorporate more of the other fabrics I bought, so here what I did with a white and green stripes fabric:

I lined the inside of the see-through part of the wardrobe doors. And the same to the drawer fronts on the matching drawer unit next to it. And it's all removable for washing, thanks to my new best friend Velcro.

Now, where's all the baby stuff? This room still looks very much like a guest room! Yes, and that's what it's going to be until:

Phase III - When the baby actually moves in! We are planning to have the baby's cot in our room initially, so until the cot comes into what is now the guest room, there's little point doing much else to it, especially as we will have family visiting and staying over after the baby arrives. So, when the time comes for the cot to go in there, we will be taking out the bed and bedside tables (as I mentioned above), re-arranging the furniture and putting a sofa-bed for the occasional guests in there. But more details on this phase later. For now, I'm happy with this room...

I'm getting into this crafting thing a lot more. I've always liked to make things, but now, I try to think of what I can re-use and give it another "life" by painting, covering or something like that (even when I could probably buy something inexpensive to do the same job). I really enjoy the making process, more than I would probably enjoy the buying. I try to imagine how I could organise things better and what I could use (maybe from another room in the house or from the loft) to help keep things organised.

For example, remember the bedside tables which will be removed from the room? I already have plans for them... One of them is going to be turned into a little bench with storage for the living room (more about this on a later post) and another is probably going in the kitchen into a cupboard under the oven, to help keep trays and pots organised (also more on this later).

The only "problem" with starting with this crafting and decoration business seems to be that once I get started, I'll always find a multitude on mini-projects to do.

And now that I have bored you all (yes, you, my whole audience of one!) to death, I'll leave you to rest your eyes, but not before apologising for the exceedingly long post (but not promising shorter ones in future!).

1 comment:

  1. A-maz-ing Barbs

    Love, love, love the new look nursery. I love the colour scheme and the sticker is the cutest thing. Well done you! The room looks bigger and has a chilled vibe. I laughed out loud when you said your audience of one.

    Will email you tomorrow hunny.

    ReplyDelete